October 2018 Core Group Meetings

For the October 7 meeting at 4:00 pm EST.

I'm going to start with my apologies for having the agenda ready so shortly before the meeting, but since we'll be covering some of the points of last meeting's agenda, which got cancelled, you should be able to recognize a couple things.

Today we have a special guest, long time Thwinker, joining the core group meeting: William Kurkian. Another special thing about the meeting, is that we will try to make the best out of the opportunity of having so many sharp and creative minds sitting together, and have this be more of a working meeting, rather than only a reporting meeting. Once again, this meeting is divided in two parts. The first one is organized by one section per person, so that (in Jack's words: ) "each of us can report on our individual responsibilities or areas of interest as well as pose penetrating questions and observations about anything".

The second part of the meeting will cover group topics.

In order to first close the big and challenging chapter on how to solve the problem of setting rule's CLs before we start a new one, we will start with Jack's report:

A. Jack

1. Report on how to implement Bayes Rule. How to do this has been figured out, so the problem is solved. There were several interesting discoveries. The first was that deductive rules can use the present approach to calculating a conclusion's truth level, while inductive rules need to use Bayes Rule. The second discovery was that decision chaining can work with a single piece of data per input, its truth level. This greatly simplifies the tool. The third discovery was that deductive rule inputs have weights, while inductive rule inputs need importance. Weights and importance behave very differently and so need different terms. The next step is to implement the software changes. This is started and is going very well.

2. Once the software changes are done, one possible area I could work on is doing some claim-checks that are NOT based on fact-checks. We have quite a risk here, as we don't know what the "unknown unknowns" are. Montserrat, what do you thwink of this? How does it fit into your project plan?

3. Our conversations with Michael Hoefer, a potential new thwinker, continue to go well. We had about a one hour Skype call on Saturday with Michael, Jack, and Montserrat. Lots of fascinating topics were covered. The main one was a line of research that involves using SIP and system dynamics modeling to analyze the hate-based authoritarian problem. Michael is keen on doing this, as if fits his skills and interests well. Jack will create a new section on the forum for the project.
(A new thread has been opened, where the most relevant email exchanges with Michael can be found)

B. Montserrat

1. The next problem asking for a high quality solution, is the question of how to set the fact's CLs. I have been working on this during the last week. My plan has several steps. I started by learning how other fields approach the same problem. Good ideas are likely to be found in the field of law, journalism (which obviously includes fact-checking organizations), and maybe even science, history, and Wikipedia.
Interesting findings until now have been that in legal procedures there are indeed different categories of evidence, and the decision of what evidence must and must not be considered is based on what is known as the "rules of evidence", I will be investigating that further in the days to come.
All further steps are on the document I'm preparing, which I will publish on the forum, as soon as I get Jacks feedback on it (I don't want to confuse the readers more than necessary :D)

2. I discovered that we may have to start referring to the "fact" nodes differently. Here's a short quote from the document I've been working on, on "How to set fact CLs":

In the common use of the word, “facts” are always 100% true, and that is not the value we are trying to set here. We are interested in setting the fact’s CL, which captures how confident are we that that truth proposition is actually a fact, or is actually 100% true. We can be 80% confident, that a truth proposition is 100% true. Since this can be a source of confusion, maybe we will have to consider different ways of naming the nodes that we have been referring to as facts until now.
There are some ideas already on possible new labels for "facts". I thought about the following:
- Fact for facts with 100% CL
- False fact for facts with 0% CL
- Truth proposition for facts with a CL between 0 and 100%

Jack thought about the following:
- Truthity / Certainty for facts with a 100% CL
- Falsity for facts with a 0% CL
- Factum for facts with a CL between 0 and 100%

Originally I wanted to use this section to discuss the different names, and other ideas, but turns out that is something we won't be able to decide until we make sure that those three are the actual categories for facts. The question of what types of facts are there may be at the very crux of the problem. About this, there are also some thoughts in progress, I also think that for the categorization, it may become very relevant making the distinction between the dimensions of a fact's actual truth level and a fact's truth confidence level (or truth probability). The reason why this is the case, is because we may find that the categories of the truth confidence levels don't fit 1:1 the categories of different types of claims. For example, we may determine that facts are boolean, meaning that they can be either completely true or completely false, but that for our purposes of calculating the truth level of a claim, having a category of truth CLs between 100% and 0% is useful anyways.

3. If the distinction between the real truth level and the truth confidence level of a fact turns out to be relevant, we will also need to agree on the way we will be referring to those two different concepts. I used to think that the label "confidence level" could be somewhat confusing if we ever calculate the statistical confidence level (a confidence interval) of our confidence levels. That right there is using the same name for two different things - not a great idea. I thought about referring to CLs just as "truth levels", but if it turns out to be relevant differentiating between the actual truth level of the fact, and the truth confidence level, then the word "confidence" makes sense again. I will make my best to determine if this will be necessary or not.

4. Answer to Jack's question (may already have been covered at this point): I'm not sure we can start doing claim checks until we have solved the problem on how to set fact CLs, since that is the data used for the calculation, but let's discuss this!

5. Jack asked me what he could do to use his time best to help. I'm not quite sure yet, maybe we can discuss this together in the group section.

C. Scott
General questions and observations.

D. William
Review of his work and how he may be able to play a sort of board-of-directors advisory role, like Scott. What areas might he have relevant expertise and interest in?
General questions and observations.

E. Group topics - Discussion of A system for setting probabilities. How can we solve this problem?
Here are some question's from last week's agenda that we can still consider for today's group discussion:

1. The main challenge here is How to set the truth confidence level of facts. Unless we do this well, we will have a garbage-in, garbage-out problem. Structured Argument Analysis relies on good fact truth levels.
  2. The problem is already well-structured into information types. Find your probability type and then set it.
  3. Is this structure appropriate? Do the five steps (or something like them) offer a standard process for setting probabilities that reflects how people actually think?
  4. What other ways could we structure the problem that might help?
  5. Have you heard of any other approaches like NewsCracker that we might learn from?
  6. NewsCracker rated 56 news sources for their level of truth. The details on how they did this are not published. Nor are the results. Montserrat will be contacting them on this and the possibility of working together, such as on centralization. (Update from Montserrat: haven't contacted them yet, I want to do so when we're sure we've identified the right questions to ask)
  7. We will need to do the same or work with them or others with a centralized database of rated news sources. Any ideas on this centralization?
  8. Any ideas for how to actually truth rate news sources that go beyond what NewsCracker does?
  9. Anything else?

Last edited:

Jack Harich

Administrator
Staff member
We will have no meeting on Sunday October 14. Our main work right now is Montserrat's mini-project of solving the problem of "How to set the truth confidence level of facts." That's not an easy problem to solve. Montserrat is on a truly wonderful two week vacation with her family, which prevents her from preparing for and being at the meeting.

Last edited:

Jack Harich

Administrator
Staff member
Surprise! We will also have no meeting on Sunday October 21. Montserrat is still on vacation and Jack has been working on the Tower and took a two day trip to Savannah, Georgia. No new work has been done, so we have nothing to discuss. But fear not. Our (hopefully) breakthrough research program will continue!

For the October 28 meeting at 8:00 pm EST.

The day has come! I'm finally back from the long family trip I took. Thanks to the Thwinker's Core Group for bringing these meetings to a halt while I was away! Hopefully that two-week long break gave everybody the chance to pause and refresh your minds to keep on solving difficult problems!

In this meeting we will mainly catch up, covering what has happened during the last two weeks, but also review the strategy to continue with the project of solving the problem on "How to set the truth confidence level of facts" in the most efficient manner, so that we can proceed with our claim-check study!

A. Jack

1. Report on software status - Our current goal is to get the TruthRatings.org software mature enough to do the claim-check study. Earlier we figured out how to apply Bayes Rule. Half of this is implemented. I can now edit rule types. The remaining work is to change the way the truth level of claims is calculated, then update the Help documentation. Once this is complete, the software is ready for the study, except for possible changes related to setting the truth confidence level of facts. It's possible this will require checklists for information types that use a point system. If so, this is best done with software rather than manually per fact.

2. Report on trip to Savannah, Georgia and the presentation of the Thwink work to a group of 23 people. - This went very well. I was astounded at the quality of the weekly domestic politics discussion group, which included a former ambassador, three special prosecutors, a social researcher, an Obama white house staffer, many CEOs, a rabbi, and so on. To me the key insight is that if I had long had a network like this, the Thwink message would have been successfully transmitted long ago and we would be working with influential people and organizations. But I'm a natural introvert. Plus I followed a deliberate policy of professional isolation to avoid falling onto the mindset of others. Sigh....

3. Report on networking - I picked up one good contact in Savannah and two on Saturday in Alabama after a funeral. The Savannah guy is a TED talk expert and can help us produce a good talk. One Alabama guy is high up in the Rotary organization, which is a CEO network for helping non-profits and for-profits succeed with worthy projects. He would love to help. The other Alabama guy is a past vice-president at General Electric, who has led massively successful special projects. He also would love to help. On the question of timing, I don't want to get distracted from the all-important claim-check study. Thus I can keep these three contacts alive but not make a move and start investing lots of time in them until after the study completes. Then we will have data proving a little something. How does that sound?

4. Montserrat and I had a great talk with Michael Hoefer on Saturday, mostly about a book chapter on Claude Shannon, inventor of the conceptual foundation for information science theory. Michael's understanding of the Thwink approach, how it can be used to solve the hate-based authoritarian problem, and his own insights continue to grow. Michael is such a terrific, deeply thoughtful guy!

B. Montserrat

1. Report on scholarship test results - As you may, (or may not) remember, during the first week of September, I went for a few days to Mexico, to take a test for a scholarship. A little over two weeks ago, just before I left for the big family trip, the results were published, and great news! I got it! I don't know yet the exact amount that the scholarship covers, but it's probably going to be a significant part of the university fees where I end up enrolling for my master. This allows me to move forward with the plan to continue with this research (probably the UN sustainability goals one) at university, which for me is really exciting!

2. Report on solving the problem of "How to set the truth confidence level of facts" - Finding a good solution for this problem remains the only missing piece for us to be able to start testing the tool's performance. Before leaving, I had identified various potentially good fields for inspiration on how to tackle the problem, but there was no clear strategy as to how to extract what's useful and move forward. Mainly what was missing was a clear identification of the critical path to a first solution. Jack and I had a meeting together just before I left covering that. I have been reviewing the material I already had, and I'm trying to re-arrange it to a clearer problem-solving structure using the Critical Path Method. I think the most valuable help I will be able to get from Jack, will be his surveillance on the process that I'm following. The goal is to minimize the time spent on any task that doesn't belong to the critical path. In order to really achieve a tight "quality control" of the work and make the best out of it, I think it would be useful if Jack had access to my advances every day, and if we could have a call/short meeting based on what I've done. We can discuss the logistics of this together.

3. Research design of Study 1 - Since the last time I worked on that document, there have been a lot of substantial changes. So many, I would say that document is very close to becoming completely obsolete by now. The main idea of what we want to measure in the study is still the same, but how we're going to measure it has changed. Good news is, the tool is now much more mature. A lot of the things we were stuck on with that research design, were precisely the questions of "how are we going to measure this?", and once we have the solution to set the CLs of facts, we'll be able to answer all those questions. Still, that document needs a lot of polishing. I realize Jack included some of that in his group topic. We can definitely begin working on that, but in order to have the final version of the research design, we'll first need my mini-project to conclude.

4. Master applications - On a little less positive note than the scolarship, after writing an email to the top 1 university on my list, I was informed that next year the research master program probably won't open (last year it didn't either). They have another program that I really like, but the research program was really incredible, as one has access to the professors, and all university installations, but was free to work on an self-designed research project. I'm planning to write back, and ask if any exception can be made so I can apply for that opportunity regardless, since by then (summer next year) I'll have a pretty mature research project to work on.

C. Scott

1. Comments & Observations

Group topics:

1. Critical path review - The critical path goal for the Politician Truth Ratings project is getting a paper published that will draw the attention of influential people to the Thwink approach. If the paper presents strong proof the approach can work, this will change everything. Let's review the exact high-level project steps leading to this. Are there any big unsolved risks? Is all our work properly focused? (Montse, can you list these steps before the meeting? I don't know for sure, but the biggest risk at the moment appears to be how to set the truth level of facts. After that things should start zooming along and we can return to our initial plan.)

Last edited:
Following our goal of trying to make our weekly calls be not only a reporting meeting, but actually a working meeting in which we can take advantage of all or our minds thwinking together, today, during the call, we came up with this Critical Path Review.
  1. Find a solution to the problem of how to set the fact Truth Levels (CLs).
    • 1.1 Start with the easiest information type, i.e. uncontested facts.
      • Possible solution: use a checklist with points for each item. The results can be normalized to a range from zero to 100%, which becomes the truth level for the uncontested fact.
    • 1.2 Do the same with the other information types except the information published by sources.
    • 1.3 Find a solution to set the Truth Level of information sources.
  2. Study on getting high accuracy and precision in setting the facts' Truth Levels.
  3. Study on getting high accuracy and precision in setting the claims' Truth Levels.
  4. Publish a high impact paper.

Last edited: