May 2018 - Core Group Meetings

Jack Harich

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the agenda for our May 6 meeting at 8:00PM EST. Naturally we'll have an agenda check at the beginning of our meeting.

A. Montserrat - I'm taking a guess that these may be things you want to discuss, based on your forum reply.
  1. Reviewing the new versions of the videos.
  2. Thinking about the format & content of the "very short" video.
  3. Keep looking for good masters options and organizing those.
  4. Contacting the US consulate in my city to start arrangements for next semester.
  5. Logical Framework Approach.

B. Scott
  1. Sharing your vision of Candle with Montserrat.
  2. Anything else?

C. Jack
  1. Report on progress on the prototype - This is where nearly all my time is going now. Since we will be contacting fact-checkers soon, we need a really workable and productive prototype to show them and let them use. The more I visualize showing them the prototype and use it myself, the deeper I get into understanding what they will need. The latest new features are the third panel. This contains node information and, if you use Alt L when the focus is on the text editor, you can toggle the panel to show a list of article. This feature is just started and not working well yet.
  2. Report on status of application design - Sean of Applied Imagination worked on this during the week. On Friday he emailed me a link to the wireframes, for my review and feedback. I will work on this Monday. It will be tedious.
  3. Report on status of Kickstarter videos - Both videos are now in their second version. The second video, on how Structure Argument Analysis works, need a redo to show the new features of the prototype and to improve what's said. I have rewritten the prototype second of the script to do this.

Last edited:

Jack Harich

Administrator
Staff member
Great meeting! Montse opened with her items. She found a terrific masters program that she will be evaluating in depth this week. Then she will send us a link and some info, and we can talk about it during our next meeting. Montse also told her story of how how her interest in helping to solve international problem developed. But she was disappointed at the quality of the approaches being taken to solve the big problems. When she found Thwink.org, she suddenly realized that a sound approach did indeed exist, got excited, and contacted Thwink. Her visa to enter the US to study with Thwink/Jack in the second half of 2018 is just fine. No problems there.

Scott went into glorious detail on his Candle vision, more than I can hope to remember. Scott will eventually be starting a thread in this forum to share, discuss, and develop his vision. The basic idea is an online knowledge base of important ideas, all structured and rated for truth. Anyone can explore and help create it, as well as use it solve their own problems. (Hope I got this right, Scott!)

Jack covered his items. Most of the time went to demonstrating the Truth Ratings System prototype. Each of us used our own browser to begin a simple analysis. Then we looked at a very new feature, Claim Check Articles on the third panel. This allows users to create claim check articles, save them, export and import them, etc. Once it's done, it will be all we need for a minimum viable single user prototype that we can show to fact-checkers and they can use it. We hope to generate some interest and get important feedback.

Onward!

Jack Harich

Administrator
Staff member
For our May 20th meeting at 8:00 PM EST, Scott will be out. But Montserrat and Jack will wade through this agenda:

A. Montserrat
  1. I doooo have something for the agenda tomorrow, and I am very excited about it: the masters program I found. In fact, I think it would make sense for you to (finally) check out the program's website in advance if you have time, so that you have an idea of what it is about tomorrow. Specifically, I would like to tell you how I actually found it, and then we can discuss together about its strengths and weaknesses (which btw, I don't find many of).
  2. Anything else?

B. Jack
  1. Progress report on the Politicians Truth Ratings prototype. This is going extremely well. The prototype is looking so polished, and provides so much functionality, that we no longer need to spend over $20,000 to get a minimum viable prototype (MVP). Instead, we can show the prototype to potential users. In several weeks it will be ready for pioneering thwinkers to test and evaluate. The key strategy is to have several claim-check articles based on existing fact-check articles. We can show folks in the fact-check community how the tool would perform on an article form they are already familiar with.
  2. Demo of the prototype's features and work flow, with discussion. After we've covered what it can do now, I can explain what I'll be developing in the next week. This will be implementing the Rules, Facts, and Reusable Claims tabs. We can show how claim-checkers will be able to find reusables and put them in their articles. This will give folks the bigger picture of how the product will work. All this is still using local storage. That greatly cuts development costs and speeds development, but it does leave us with a single user, local storage MVP. That should not be a problem.
  3. Would it help for Jack to get the ability to text and phone Mexico? I've found that texting is very handy with Scott.
  4. Can you suggest a short, more international well known piece of prose, something to replace The Gettysburg Address?

Last edited:

Jack Harich

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks. Here's our agenda for the May 27 meeting at the revised time of 5:00PM EST, which is 2:00 Pacific and 4:00 Guadalajara time:

A. Montserrat
  1. Two minute video script ideas (if I get to work on that).
  2. Thwink's social media presence. I wanted to bring back the topic of Thwink's social media presence, mainly inspired by the interaction I saw between PolitiFact and Elon Musk the other day. I have a suggestion that I'll like to make to you.
  3. Practical details of my semester in Atlanta.

B. Scott
  1. Started Microsoft A.I. Certification program.
  2. Need to resume work on decision tool.
  3. Would like to resume Thwink course of study and logical analysis (aka Take the Training) as well.
  4. I'm a little confused between http://thwink.org/forum/index.php?forums/meetings.4/ and http://www.thwink.org/adm/woltlab/forum/index.php?board/6-meetings/

C. Jack
  1. Timing problem with first contact of fact-check community and their annual conference June 20 to 22 in Rome, Italy. Fact-checkers may be so busy preparing for and excited about the conference that just before the conference is NOT a good time for important first contacts. What to do?
  2. In the prototype, my goal for the week was to implement the menu bar items for Rules, Facts, and Reusable Claims, for just VIEW the data and select the item to REPLACE the marked one in the article. I got this done well ahead of schedule, so I changed the goal to implementing the EDIT those three items. This is done for rules and facts. Still have articles to go, a big job.
  3. Demo item 2 so Scott and Montse can see the new pages for the Truth Ratings System prototype. Must use Chrome.
  4. In the prototype, I implemented a clean reliable way for users to download the database for the app when the app first loads. This was done by generating a Javascript class file. This solved a huge problem I'd been unable to solve for week: The app has no database on the server, so how can the app appear to have a server database?
  5. The above feature also solved the problem of how can users send me their completed claim-check articles and any rules and facts that had to be added to create the article? Simple. Users export the database as a Javascript class and email the file to me. Then I manually add the article, rules, and facts to my copy of the app.
  6. The app still does not support Mac shortcut keys, like Alt, Shift, and Control in Windows. I really need to fix this. Perhaps I can try a fix, and then get Montse to test it, while we speak sometime. I dont' have a Mac to test on.

Last edited:

Jack Harich

Administrator
Staff member
Wow. That's an impressive course. Some serious time investment here!

Good luck with it. I don't know how far you will go in the course, but even a little ways will yield a great overview of where AI is and where it's going.