Here's the agenda for our June 3rd meeting at 8:00PM EST.
- Update on accommodations for my stay in Atlanta.
- Anything else?
- To be provided.
- Report on prototype progress. It's going extremely well. This week I worked on lots of small details and bugs, added the Help doc, activated Log On (which is optional), and improved the way the pages look. It's looking fairly complete. The astounding thing is it's so complete it can do fact-checks, including adding, editing, and using new rules, facts, and reusuable claims. I had not foreseen getting to this point so soon. This is very good news.
- Have selected my first fact-check article to turn into a claim-check. Here is the article. I looked at several on Politifact's home page and noticed that the logic in all of them is loose and usually full of small errors. To me this means I've been thwinking in terms of Structured Argument Analysis for so long I can instantly spot argument logic errors. The article I selected has a typical error. The author, in his very first sentence, states what the implied claim is. Then he shows why it's false. At the bottom in the Our Ruling section, he forgets about the implied claim entirely and concludes the claim is mostly true. It's not. I expect a claim-check will show it's mostly false. This is amazing! But I suspect it will be typical because others are working without the tool they need.
- Got the new idea that after doing a claim-check of a fact-check, we can contact the author. This is a wonderfully natural way of spreading the word about what we're doing. Of course I'm very curious about how the first such contact will react. We will have to be gentle, diplomatic, and helpful.
- Related to the above, as soon as the tool is running smoothly I and perhaps others should take the fact-check training. This will also serve to introduce us to the fact-check community.
- Although the prototype is ready for us to use, I'm still finding bugs and usability problems. Let's go another week before starting the test claim-checks experiment. This is briefly described on the prototype Help page in the last item, Prototype limitations and testing.
- I've concluded that we need to build out the prototype to have a real database as soon as possible. The prototype looks so complete people will expect and try to use it for real work. Their work will frequently be lost. That could even happen to us, though I hope it doesn't. Since it can happen, we will have to backup our work frequently. Plus doing simulated database updates is fraught with bug potential. I've located a new company in Atlanta that seems more tuned to our needs here than Applied Imagination and offers "Hire an individual expert." I will be talking to them a little more this coming week. Right now I'm estimated the build out will run about 10K and that I have two solid weeks of work to do before they can begin. This is very serious work and I'm trying hard to do a good job.
- I was unable to solve the problem of the prototype shortcut keys don't work on Chrome on the Mac. Montserrat and I ran a test, but it didn't give me enough info to solve the problem. I need an actual Mac so I can go into the code and see where the problem is occurring. To do this I will be purchasing a very old used Mac.
- This morning I got the idea that in our test claim-checks experiment, we can also collect data on how long it takes each of us to create a claim-check. One of our top two risks is it takes too long. This data will begin to help us resolve that risk. This data is also something Montserrat can possibly use in her paper.
- One more item! It occurred to me that Montse's problem with shortcut keys not working on the Mac with Chrome may not be that big a problem for now. As I recall it was only the Alt key that wasn't working. Looking at the Analysis page dropdown, none of the Alt actions that are dimmed are crucial. Thus I thwink we can wait until you arrive to fix this problem. That will save the purchase of a used Mac!